Pages

"Gracias"

We have been concerned for the past few months about Ellie's speech development. I have always heard that second children, and children growing up in a bilingual culture are slower to develop speech, but that didn't really help my fears. I know I shouldn't compare my children but Lucy at this age was using words like octopus in her every day vocabulary :) Ellie has the ability to say "mama" and "papa" but doesn't really choose to, and other than that she has never spoken another comprehendible word. That is until this week, and her first word is "Gracias"- thats right a two syllable, Spanish word- how about that for some language development!









Even as I write this, I think today I heard her say baby and ball so I am praying that our communication is beginning to grow, I really do love it when children are old enough to express themselves through words.

4 comments:

EMU said...

She looks just like your mom in these pictures!!! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

"de nada"
KK

Dena said...

She is so cute!! Glad that the words are starting to come!

John and Kathy Clow said...

Evan, our youngest, was the same way. The oldest three were speaking sentences and he ended up being a good year behind them in speech - but watch out! When he started he NEVER stopped. His first word was "guacala". Do you use that word in Honduras - we used it all the time in Costa Rica - which is where he said it. Hope you guys have a GREAT New Years. Enjoy time with your family!!!